Hi! Welcome to my A level media blog. My name is Molly Sullivan (0816).

I'm in Group 4 with Maisie MacGregor (0506), Mari Leach (0440), and Ellie Brackpool (0100)

You can navigate my blog by using the column on the right hand side where you will find the following labels:
A2 Prelim, A2 Research and Planning, A2 Production and also a link to all of the work I did for AS.
There's also a link to the Latymer music video blog as well as a live link to the group's Facebook group.

Click here to access the group's Facebook page.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy my blog!

Our Music Video

Digipack

Digipack
Front and back cover of the album.

Digipack

Digipack
Inside covers of the album

Click To Enter Our Website

Thursday 11 September 2014

Research - Genres of Interest

I have a really wide taste in music that reaches over a variety of genres, such as; indie rock, alternative, funk rock, hip-hop, ska, punk, pop punk, EDM (in general), hardcore, metalcore, metal, grunge, DIY punk, melodic hardcore/emo. However, I am aware that some of these genres are very niche and so they only appeal to a very specific target market which can be hard to reach successfully for a brand new artist on the scene.

This is a music video for a hardcore/DIY punk band Your Demise who appeal to a relatively niche market compared to artists like Beyonce.

Bearing that in mind, I have to take in consideration what music is selling well at the moment, and what genres of music I am familar with as it is always a good idea to stick to what you know. The two genres that I would really like to explore would be indie/alternative hip hop - artists like King Krule and Jamie T - and the other genre which I am interested in is dance music -  a genre which is becoming increasingly popular, and is featuring more and more in the top UK charts, thanks to artists such as Disclosure and Chase and Status.

A gif of a video taken of Chase and Status' set at Reading Festival main stage 2013 - showing how huge their crowd was (I was up at the front there)
Reading Festival Line-Up Poster 2014

At Reading Festival this year me and my friends, along with thousands of other people went along to many more acts in the dance tent than we did the year before. The dance tent at Reading featured artists such as Netsky, Pendulum DJ set, Aluna George, Secondcity and Sigma; drawing in huge crowds that exceeded the size of the tent. The tent was hugely popular thanks to all of the great acts which were to thank for some of the biggest anthems of the summer.


This is the video for I Wanna Feel - Secondcity, one of the biggest tracks of the summer. This is the sort of song, genre, and style I would like to use for our own music video.

The sort of song I would love to use is something with a feel-good, nostalgic, summer tune which is loved by everyone but young people especially. Something that as soon as you hear it reminds you of your friends, good times, summer evenings and general happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment