Hi! Welcome to my A level media blog. My name is Molly Sullivan (0816).

I'm in Group 4 with Maisie MacGregor (0506), Mari Leach (0440), and Ellie Brackpool (0100)

You can navigate my blog by using the column on the right hand side where you will find the following labels:
A2 Prelim, A2 Research and Planning, A2 Production and also a link to all of the work I did for AS.
There's also a link to the Latymer music video blog as well as a live link to the group's Facebook group.

Click here to access the group's Facebook page.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy my blog!

Our Music Video

Digipack

Digipack
Front and back cover of the album.

Digipack

Digipack
Inside covers of the album

Click To Enter Our Website

Sunday 7 September 2014

Research - What Kind of Music Video I Want to Make


I would really like to make a music video that wasn't shot entirely in a studio, however I know that we have access to a great space in school that we can use as our studio and I know this works well, as I have seen videos filmed in the school's studio as well as filming in there myself. Saying this, I would like to film outside and in different locations, especially around London to give the video a very British look to it, rather than an Americanised studio-filmed video.



This video for King Krule's track, Easy Easy sums up the sort of vibe I want my music video to give off. An almost nostalgic style of filming, using fish eye lenses and other effects so that the video isn't so HD looking. It is filmed in different locations and is a very active video in the sense that there is constant motion of the camera and of the artist, switching between scenes. This is how I would like my video to be filmed. Also, I really like how it has familiar features of places, with my video I would like to film in places like train stations or places where we could use the city as the backdrop, utilising the city we live in as much as we can and use London to our advantage; but I know that this isn't always practical and can be more difficult to film effectively in an uncontrolled environment.





The video for Sticks n' Stones by Jamie T is another good example of the type of video I would like to make; it's shot outside and is clear that it was shot in London. It has the feel to it where it almost looks like one of their friends' shot it, and that they were doing it themselves, not with a proffessional cameraman or in a studio. I also really like how the video is not just focusisng on Jamie T but is full of friends all interacting with eachother, almost like we as the viewers have been watching in on a day in their life; it's a very fun and playful video in that sense.





There are lots of things that I really like about this video although I don't like the song very much. I like how the video is styled to give it a very retro - 90s look to it. I think that the mixture between studio shots of the singer and shots of other people working/dancing/driving is really nice and I love how they have included lots of shots of people at parties/festivals/clubs. It would be interesting to try and replicate something like this although it's obviously very difficult. The colouring and effects on the video make it really look like it could have been recorded in the 90s on an old camera. The styling and costumes of the girls in the video are really cool and show a very retro/vintage side of themselves. I also really like how they have used projected images over the singer in the studio shots, I think it creates a really effective look although it is quite simple.





The thing that I like about this video is that it's all shot outside and doesn't focus solely on the main singer - Paloma Faith. I like how it cuts between shots of ordinary people going about their usual business, rather than having shots of professional dancers and models like in lots of music videos. Although the video doesn't follow a complicated narrative it is still fun and interesting to watch and the characters are all likeable so the audience enjoys watching them. It has a very feel-good nature to the video which matches the song.





No comments:

Post a Comment